What Personal Data Do We Collect?
American Expediting collects personal data when we deliver our products, conduct marketing, and run our business operations. The personal data we collect varies based upon whether the data is collected (i) through our websites or applications, including www.americanexpediting.com and their local variations (“Sites”) or (ii) through our Products and Services, including but not limited to our shipping and logistics tracking software, e.g. Shipping Wizard.
We may collect personal data directly in the following situations:
- When you register as an American Expediting user or use our services, we may collect contact information such as your name, email address, telephone number, organization, job title, and financial and payment details.
- If you engage with American Expediting for marketing purposes, such as by expressing interest in American Expediting offerings through a web form, participating in a promotion, or attending an American Expediting or other marketing event, we will collect the information you submit to us, such as your contact details (including name, email address, phone number, organization and job title) and the American Expediting offerings that interest you.
- When you submit an employment application, we collect the personal data disclosed by your application, such as your name, email address, phone number, and employment and education history.
Through our Products, we may collect personal data directly in the following situations:
- When you use the Products or Services, we may capture your name, email address, organization, and job title. You can upload a profile picture if you want to.
- When you use the Products, we will collect the shipment information and destination you enter into the Products or instruct American Expediting to enter on your behalf. In addition, we will collect any files that you upload into the Products, or instruct American Expediting to upload on your behalf.
- We may also collect other electronic data derived from your use of our Products. Except for IP address and unique device identifiers, we generally collect this data on an aggregate and non-identifying basis.
American Expediting may collect personal data indirectly in certain situations, in particular:
- We obtain marketing contact information, including name, email address, phone number, organization, and job title, from our partners, from public sources, and from third-party mailing lists.
- We collect personal data, including employment and education history, from third parties to conduct background and reference checks for employment applications and for applications to establish vendor relationships with American Expediting, subject to consent where consent is required by law.
A cookie is a small text file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer when you visit a website. When you visit the site again, the cookie allows that site to recognize your browser. Cookies may store user preferences and other information. Cookies provide a convenience feature to save you time, or tell the Web server that you have returned to a specific page.
Cookies set by the website owner (in this case, American Expediting) are called “first party cookies”. Cookies set by parties other than the website owner are called “third party cookies”. Third party cookies enable third party features or functionality to be provided on or through the website (e.g. like advertising, interactive content and analytics). The parties that set these third-party cookies can recognize your computer both when it visits the website in question and also when it visits certain other websites.
The Purpose of Cookies
We use first- party and third-party cookies for several reasons. Some cookies are required for technical reasons in order for our Websites to operate, and we refer to these as “essential” or “strictly necessary” cookies. Other cookies also enable us to track and target the interests of our users to enhance the experience on our Websites. For example, American Expediting keeps track of the Websites and pages you visit within American Expediting, in order to determine what portion of the American Expediting Website is the most popular or most used. This data is used to deliver customized content and promotions within the American Expediting Website to customers whose behavior indicates that they are interested in a particular subject area. Third parties serve cookies through our Websites for advertising, analytics and other purposes. This is described in more detail below.
- Strictly necessary cookies — these cookies are essential for you to browse the website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the site / portals.
- Preferences cookies — these cookies allow a website to remember choices you have made in the past, like what your user name and password are so you can automatically log in.
- Statistics cookies — sometimes known as “performance cookies,” these cookies collect information about how you use a website, like which pages you visited and which links you clicked on. None of this information can be used to identify you. It is all aggregated and, therefore, anonymized. Their sole purpose is to improve website functions. This includes cookies from third-party analytics services as long as the cookies are for the exclusive use of the owner of the website visited.
- Marketing cookies — These cookies track your online activity to help advertisers deliver more relevant advertising or to limit how many times you see an ad. These cookies can share that information with other organizations or advertisers. These are persistent cookies and almost always of third-party provenance.
How You Can Control Cookies
You have the right to decide whether to accept or reject cookies. You can exercise your cookie preferences by clicking on the appropriate opt-out links provided below.
In addition, most advertising networks offer you a way to opt out of targeted advertising. If you would like to find out more information, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ or http://www.youronlinechoices.com. You may opt out by clicking here: http://preferences.truste.com/. Please note this does not opt you out of being served advertising. You will continue to receive generic advertisements.
Strictly necessary cookies: Because these cookies are strictly necessary to deliver the Websites to you, you cannot refuse them. You can block or delete them by changing your browser settings however, as described above.
Other Tracking Technologies We May Use
Cookies are not the only way to recognize or track visitors to a website. We may employ a software technology called clear gifs (a.k.a. Web Beacons/Web Bugs), that help us better manage the Website by informing us what content is effective. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of Web users. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user’s computer hard drive, clear gifs are embedded invisibly on Web pages or in emails and are tiny. We may use clear gifs or pixels in our HTML-based emails to let us know which emails have been opened by recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of certain communications and the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns. We tie the information gathered by clear gifs in emails to our customers’ Personal Information.
How We Use Personal Data
General Business Operations
We use contact information to market, sell, and service the Products, subject to your consent where required by law. We allow recipients of marketing messages and collateral to opt-out of receiving further communications from American Expediting at any time without detriment.
We use your financial or payment information, and your contact details, to support, establish, and conduct customer relationships if you were to purchase a Product. For example, your data would be necessary for the performance of our terms of service with you (including, for example, completing purchase transactions, the fulfillment of an order, order confirmations, responding to requests for information about Products, and the provision of purchased Products or Services). If you fail to provide the personal data we need, we may be unable to complete your transaction.
We use personal data from employment applications where necessary to support our legitimate interest in processing your application and to contact you if future opportunities arise.
We use personal data of individuals associated with proposed partners or vendors to conduct reference and background checks before entering into a contract and as necessary for compliance with legal obligations to which we are subject.
Data Processed Within Our Products
We use the personal data that is processed within our Products, for our legitimate interests and business purposes in tuning, maintaining, enhancing, and developing Products. A portion of Product data, which may include personal data, may be seen by American Expediting staff who you have authorized to review your account data, for example in the provision of customer support activities. We never use this data, referred to as “Product Personal Data,” for marketing purposes; and we never sell your data to third parties, or transfer it to third parties for the third party’s own purposes.
We use aggregated, non-identifying, electronic data collected from the use of our Sites and Products to operate, analyze, improve, and develop our Sites and Products. This information is not used to inform decisions about specific individuals; rather, it is processed to understand how different categories of users interact with our Sites and Products so that we can consistently provide our Products.
When We Share Personal Data
We do not sell your personal information.
We may share personal data in the following situations:
- With our affiliates and subsidiaries and with vendors acting on our behalf to perform services for American Expediting for a specific business purpose, support the Sites or the delivery of Products;
- With the customer on whose behalf and at whose direction we are processing the data; and
- When we have your consent to use your personal data for a specific purpose.
We may share personal data with our affiliates, partners, subsidiaries, resellers, suppliers, sub-contractors, and distributors, and with vendors acting on our and their behalf, to service our customers and perform any contract we enter with you.
We may also share aggregated, anonymous, or non-identifiable electronic data with our affiliates, partners, and vendors acting on our behalf.
We may share personal data from employment applications with vendors acting on our behalf who help us in recruitment, background check, and human resources matters.
We may also share personal data to comply with the law and legal process, to respond to governmental inquiries and lawful requests from public authorities (including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements), and to protect life, property, or the security of American Expediting or its customers. If American Expediting enters any merger, acquisition, or asset sale of all or any part of its business, personal data held by American Expediting may be transferred to a buyer or successor entity.
Control of Your Personal Data
You can change your preferences to opt-out of marketing communications at any time by following the opt-out instructions in the relevant communication. If you opt-out, we will retain your email address to confirm that we do not send you further communications.
If you have submitted an employment application to American Expediting or if your personal data has been collected by American Expediting to review a proposed reseller or distributor relationship, you may contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe.
If you wish to access, correct, or request the deletion of your Product Personal Data, you may contact us by emailing email@example.com. We will make reasonable efforts to delete your Product Personal Data upon your request within a reasonable timeframe unless prohibited from doing so under applicable law.
Storage and Security
We follow generally accepted standards to protect the personal data submitted to us, both during transmission and once it is received. Information you provide to us is stored on secure servers in Amazon Web Services. If American Expediting has issued you a password, you are responsible for keeping the password confidential. If you have any questions about the security of your personal data, you can contact us for more information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
We retain personal data to the extent necessary to provide Products to our customers, employees, and prospective employees. Generally, we retain personal data for as long as you remain an active customer or user of our Sites and Products and for three years afterward, or otherwise as required for our business operations or by applicable laws.
We may retain non-personally identifiable aggregate information beyond this time for research purposes and to help us improve and further develop our Products. You cannot be identified from aggregate information retained or used for these purposes. Any record of a stated objection by you to receiving marketing communications will be retained by us so that we respect your wishes by not contacting you further.
The Products are not directed to children under the age of 13, and American Expediting will never knowingly collect personal or other information from anyone it knows is under the age of 13. If you are under 13, please do not attempt to register for or use the Products or send any personal information about yourself to us. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13, we will promptly take all reasonable steps to delete the data from our system.
You may have the right under applicable laws in certain circumstances to:
- ask for access to details of the personal data held by us about you, free of charge;
- to request the rectification, restriction, or erasure of your personal data held by us;
- to object to the processing of your data;
- to request that any personal data provided by you, be transferred to a third party.
American Expediting never sells or transfers your data to third parties for the third party’s marketing purposes or otherwise retains, uses, or discloses consumer personal information for any impermissible commercial purpose. You can object to receiving further marketing from American Expediting at any time without detriment.
You can also exercise the rights listed above, or write to us with any complaints, at any time by contacting us, specifying the nature of your request, at email@example.com or by mail (Worldwide) at:
American Expediting Company
801 North Primos Avenue
Folcroft, PA 19032USA
If your request or concern is not satisfactorily resolved by us, you may approach your local data protection authority.
American Expediting Employees and Contingent Workers
Last Updated September 2021