What Personal Data Do We Collect?
American Expediting collects Personal Data when you use our Sites (as hereinafter defined) and when we deliver our products, conduct marketing, and run our business operations. The Personal Data we collect varies based upon whether the data is collected (i) through our websites or applications, including www.americanexpediting.com and their local variations (“Sites”) or (ii) through our Products and Services, including but not limited to our shipping and logistics tracking software, e.g. Shipping Wizard.
The categories of information American Expediting may collect about you are listed in the table below:
|Identifiers||A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers.||Yes|
|Specific Personal Data Categories||A name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, or telephone number. Some Personal Data included in this category may overlap with other categories.||Yes|
|Camera and Photo Information||Images and other information from your device’s camera and photos.||No|
|Protected Classification Characteristics||Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information).
|Commercial information||Records and history of products or services purchased or considered.
|Biometric information||Genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics, or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as, fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke, gait, or other physical patterns, and sleep, health, or exercise data.||No|
|Internet or other similar network activity||Interaction with our services or advertisement.
|Geolocation data||Approximate physical location.
|Sensory data||Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.||No|
|Professional or employment-related information||Current or past job history or performance evaluations.||No|
|Non-public education information||Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records.
|Inferences drawn from other Personal Data||Profile reflecting a person’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
Through our Sites, we may collect Personal Data directly in the following situations:
- When you register as an American Expediting user or use our services, we may collect contact information such as your name, email address, telephone number, organization, job title, and financial and payment details.
- If you engage with American Expediting for marketing purposes, such as by expressing interest in American Expediting offerings through a web form, participating in a promotion, or attending an American Expediting or other marketing event, we will collect the information you submit to us, such as your contact details (including name, email address, phone number, organization and job title) and the American Expediting offerings that interest you.
- When you submit an employment application, we collect the Personal Data disclosed by your application, such as your name, email address, phone number, and employment and education history.
Through our Products, we may collect Personal Data directly in the following situations:
- When you use the Products or Services, we may capture your name, email address, organization, and job title. You can upload a profile picture if you want to.
- When you use the Products, we will collect the shipment information and destination you enter into the Products or instruct American Expediting to enter on your behalf. In addition, we will collect any files that you upload into the Products, or instruct American Expediting to upload on your behalf.
- We may also collect other electronic data derived from your use of our Products. Except for IP address and unique device identifiers, we generally collect this data on an aggregate and non-identifying basis.
American Expediting may collect Personal Data indirectly in certain situations, in particular:
- We obtain marketing contact information, including name, email address, phone number, organization, and job title, from our partners, from public sources, and from third-party mailing lists.
- We collect Personal Data, including employment and education history, from third parties to conduct background and reference checks for employment applications and for applications to establish vendor relationships with American Expediting, subject to consent where consent is required by law.
We may combine the Personal Data you submit directly with other Personal Data we have collected from you, whether online or offline. We may also combine it with information we received about you from other sources, such as other companies, publicly available information sources (including information from your publicly available social media profiles) and other third parties.
A cookie is a small text file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer when you visit a website. When you visit the site again, the cookie allows that site to recognize your browser. Cookies may store user preferences and other information. Cookies provide a convenience feature to save you time, or tell the Web server that you have returned to a specific page.
Cookies set by the website owner (in this case, American Expediting) are called “first party cookies”. Cookies set by parties other than the website owner are called “third party cookies”. Third party cookies enable third party features or functionality to be provided on or through the website (e.g. like advertising, interactive content and analytics). The parties that set these third-party cookies can recognize your computer both when it visits the website in question and also when it visits certain other websites.
The Purpose of Cookies
We use first- party and third-party cookies for several reasons. Some cookies are required for technical reasons in order for our Websites to operate, and we refer to these as “essential” or “strictly necessary” cookies. Other cookies also enable us to track and target the interests of our users to enhance the experience on our Websites. For example, American Expediting keeps track of the Websites and pages you visit within American Expediting, in order to determine what portion of the American Expediting Website is the most popular or most used. This data is used to deliver customized content and promotions within the American Expediting Website to customers whose behavior indicates that they are interested in a particular subject area. Third parties serve cookies through our Websites for advertising, analytics and other purposes. This is described in more detail below.
- Strictly necessary cookies — these cookies are essential for you to browse the website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the site / portals.
- Preferences cookies — these cookies allow a website to remember choices you have made in the past, like what your user name and password are so you can automatically log in.
- Statistics cookies — sometimes known as “performance cookies,” these cookies collect information about how you use a website, like which pages you visited and which links you clicked on. None of this information can be used to identify you. It is all aggregated and, therefore, anonymized. Their sole purpose is to improve website functions. This includes cookies from third-party analytics services as long as the cookies are for the exclusive use of the owner of the website visited.
- Marketing cookies — These cookies track your online activity to help advertisers deliver more relevant advertising or to limit how many times you see an ad. These cookies can share that information with other organizations or advertisers. These are persistent cookies and almost always of third-party provenance.
How You Can Control Cookies
You have the right to decide whether to accept or reject cookies. You can exercise your cookie preferences by clicking on the appropriate opt-out links provided below.
In addition, most advertising networks offer you a way to opt out of targeted advertising. If you would like to find out more information, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ or http://www.youronlinechoices.com. You may opt out by clicking here: http://preferences.truste.com/. Please note this does not opt you out of being served advertising. You will continue to receive generic advertisements.
Strictly necessary cookies: Because these cookies are strictly necessary to deliver the Websites to you, you cannot refuse them. You can block or delete them by changing your browser settings however, as described above.
Other Tracking Technologies We May Use
Cookies are not the only way to recognize or track visitors to a website. We may employ a software technology called clear gifs (a.k.a. Web Beacons/Web Bugs), that help us better manage the Website by informing us what content is effective. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of Web users. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user’s computer hard drive, clear gifs are embedded invisibly on Web pages or in emails and are tiny. We may use clear gifs or pixels in our HTML-based emails to let us know which emails have been opened by recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of certain communications and the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns. We tie the information gathered by clear gifs in emails to our customers’ Personal Data.
How We Use Personal Data
American Expediters may use Personal Data for the following purposes:
- General Business Operations
- Administering our Sites
- Enabling your use of the Services available on our Sites
- To fulfill orders you place for Products or Services
- To send you useful information about Products and Services you have purchased from us
- To send statements, invoices, and payment reminders to you, and to collect payments from you
- To process your application for employment and to contact you regarding future employment opportunities
- To send you non-marketing commercial communications
- To send you marketing communications regarding our Products and Services
- To send you email notifications that you have specifically requested, including our newsletter
- To provide third parties with statistical information about our users
- To handle inquiries and complaints
- To keep our Sites secure and prevent fraud
- To verify compliance with any terms or conditions governing use of the Site or our Products and Services
- To conduct reference checks and background checks, were appropriate or legally required
- To enhance the operation of our Sites
- To improve our Products and Services
- To maintain the integrity of information and Services provided on our Sites
- When we otherwise have your consent
Data Processed Within Our Products
We use the Personal Data that is processed within our Products, for our legitimate interests and business purposes in tuning, maintaining, enhancing, and developing Products. A portion of Product data, which may include Personal Data, may be seen by American Expediting staff who you have authorized to review your account data, for example in the provision of customer support activities. We never use this data, referred to as “Product Personal Data,” for marketing purposes; and we never sell your data to third parties, or transfer it to third parties for the third party’s own purposes.
We use aggregated, non-identifying, electronic data collected from the use of our Sites and Products to operate, analyze, improve, and develop our Sites and Products. This information is not used to inform decisions about specific individuals; rather, it is processed to understand how different categories of users interact with our Sites and Products so that we can consistently provide our Products.
When We Share Personal Data
We may share Personal Data in the following situations:
- With our affiliates and subsidiaries and with vendors acting on our behalf to perform services for American Expediting for a specific business purpose, or as needed to support the Sites or the deliver Products;
- With the customer on whose behalf and at whose direction we are processing the data; and
- When we have your consent to share your Personal Data for a specific purpose.
We may share Personal Data with our affiliates, partners, subsidiaries, resellers, suppliers, sub-contractors, and distributors, and with vendors acting on our and their behalf, to service our customers and perform any contract we enter with you.
We may also share aggregated, anonymous, or non-identifiable electronic data with our affiliates, partners, and vendors acting on our behalf.
We may share Personal Data from employment applications with vendors acting on our behalf who help us in recruitment, background check, and human resources matters.
We may also share Personal Data to comply with the law and legal process, to respond to governmental inquiries and lawful requests from public authorities (including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements), and to protect life, property, or the security of American Expediting or its customers. If American Expediting enters any merger, acquisition, or asset sale of all or any part of its business, Personal Data held by American Expediting may be transferred to a buyer or successor entity.
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have not sold any Personal Data.
Control of Your Personal Data
You can change your preferences to opt-out of marketing communications at any time by following the opt-out instructions in the relevant communication. If you opt-out, we will retain your email address to confirm that we do not send you further communications.
If you have submitted an employment application to American Expediting or if your Personal Data has been collected by American Expediting to review a proposed reseller or distributor relationship, you may contact us by emailing [email protected]. We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe and where required by law, within 30 days.
If you wish to access, correct, or request the deletion of your Product Personal Data, you may contact us by emailing [email protected]. We will make reasonable efforts to delete your Product Personal Data upon your request within a reasonable timeframe unless prohibited from doing so under applicable law.
Security, Storage, and Retention
We retain Personal Data to the extent necessary to provide Products to our customers, employees, and prospective employees. Generally, we retain Personal Data for as long as you remain an active customer or user of our Sites and Products and for three years afterward, or otherwise as required for our business operations or by applicable laws.
We may retain non-personally identifiable aggregate information beyond this time for research purposes and to help us improve and further develop our Products. You cannot be identified from aggregate information retained or used for these purposes. Any record of a stated objection by you to receiving marketing communications will be retained by us so that we respect your wishes by not contacting you further.
Do Not Track Policy
Our Sites do not respond to Do Not Track signals. However, some third-party websites do keep track of your browsing activities. If you are visiting such websites, you can set your preferences in your web browser to inform websites that you do not want to be tracked. You can enable or disable Do Not Track Requests by visiting the preferences or settings page of your web browser.
The Products are not directed to children under the age of 13, and American Expediting will never knowingly collect Personal or other Data from anyone it knows is under the age of 13. If you are under 13, please do not attempt to register for or use the Products or send any Personal Data about yourself to us. If we learn that we have collected Personal Data from a child under age 13, we will promptly take all reasonable steps to delete the data from our system.
Third Party Sites and Services
General Principles for the Processing of Personal Data
Personal Data will be collected, stored, processed, and transmitted in accordance with American Expediting’s established policies and applicable federal, state, provincial, local and foreign laws, rules, and regulations.
The principles of American Expediting with respect to the processing of Personal Data are as follows: (1) Personal Data will be processed fairly and lawfully, (2) Personal Data will be collected for specified, explicit, and legitimate purposes and not further processed for incompatible purposes, (3) Personal Data collected by American Expediting will be adequate, relevant, and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are collected and processed, (4) Personal Data collected by American Expediting will be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date to the best of our ability, (5) Personal Data collected by American Expediting will be retained as identifiable data for no longer than necessary to serve the purposes for which the Personal Data was collected, and (6) Personal Data will be processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the Personal Data, including protection against unauthorized or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage, using appropriate technical or organizational measures.
By law, you have certain rights regarding your Personal Data. Those rights include:
The right to notice. You have the right to be notified which categories of Personal Data are being collected and the purposes for which the Personal Data is being used.
The right to request. You have the right to request that we disclose information to you about our collection, use, sale, disclosure for business purposes and sharing of Personal Data. Once we receive and confirm your request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of Personal Data we collected about you
- The categories of sources for the Personal Data we collected about you
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that Personal Data
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that Personal Data
- The specific pieces of Personal Data we collected about you
- If we sold your Personal Data or disclosed your Personal Data for a business purpose, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of Personal Data categories sold
- The categories of Personal Data categories disclosed
The right to say no to the sale of Personal Data (opt-out). You have the right to direct us to not sell your Personal Data. To submit an opt-out request please contact us.
The right to delete Personal Data. You have the right to request the deletion of your Personal Data, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your Personal Data from our records, unless an exception applies.
The right to rectification of Personal Data. You have the right to request the correction of your Personal Data.
The right against automatic decisions making. You have the right to object to decisions being taken by automated means under certain circumstances.
The right not to be discriminated against. You have the right not to be discriminated against for exercising any of your consumer’s rights.
If you reside in the Province of Quebec, you also have the following rights:
The right to have dissemination of your Personal Data cease: You have the right to request that we cease disseminating your Personal Data if the dissemination is contrary to the law or a court order.
You also have the right to request that we cease disseminating your Personal Data where the following conditions are met:
the dissemination of the data causes you serious injury in relation to your right to have your reputation or privacy respected;
the injury is clearly greater than the public’s interest in knowing the data or of any person’s right to express themselves freely; and
the cessation of dissemination requested does not exceed what is necessary for preventing the perpetuation of the injury.
The right to request de-indexation of your Personal Data: You have the right to request that we de-index any hyperlink attached to your name that provide access to Personal Data by a technological means if such access is contrary to the law or a court order.
You also have the right to request that we de-index a link providing access to Personal Data where the following conditions are met:
the availability of the data causes you serious injury in relation to your right to have your reputation or privacy respected;
the injury is clearly greater than the public’s interest in knowing the data or of any person’s right to express themselves freely; and
the de-indexation requested does not exceed what is necessary for preventing the perpetuation of the injury.
The right to request re-indexation of your Personal Data: You also have the right to request that we re-index a link providing access to Personal Data where the following conditions are met:
a failure to do so causes you serious injury in relation to your right to have your reputation or privacy respected;
the injury caused by a failure to re-index is greater than the public’s interest in knowing the Personal Data or of any person’s right to express themselves freely; and
the re-indexation requested does not exceed what is necessary for preventing the perpetuation of the injury.
The right to lodge a complaint: if you believe that your Personal Data protection rights have been violated, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the applicable supervisory authority, or to seek a remedy thought the courts.
American Expediting never sells or transfers your data to third parties for the third party’s marketing purposes or otherwise retains, uses, or discloses consumer Personal Data for any impermissible commercial purpose. You can object to receiving further marketing from American Expediting at any time without detriment.
You can also exercise the rights listed above, or write to us with any complaints, at any time by contacting us, specifying the nature of your request, at [email protected] or by mail (Worldwide) at:
American Expediting Company
801 North Primos Avenue
Folcroft, PA 19032 USA
If your request or concern is not satisfactorily resolved by us, you may approach your local data protection authority.
Roles and Responsibilities of Our Staff
Our business or infrastructure units that process Personal Data are responsible for ensuring that they do so in compliance with this policy.
Our Privacy Office is responsible for:
· Developing American Expediting’s Personal Data protection strategy;
· Serving as the official liaison with the applicable regulatory authorities.
American Expediting Employees and Contingent Workers
Last Updated March 2022